20 July, 2014

Bruises

She had a bruise on her face
and others I knew were hidden elsewhere
She didn't say a word and I didn't ask-
it wasn't my place to
She curled up in my arms, burying her face
in my chest
and asked me how my day was
I ran my fingers through her hair, but
didn't say a word
She looked up at me and I could see
the tears forming in her eyes
I kissed her-


We had sex that night
I was gentle, I was always gentle with her
Passionate, sensual
I didn't tell her how much I cared
I just showed her; I made her feel-
And I knew
that she would leave once I fell asleep
and go back to him and
earn more bruises and shed more tears,
but I also knew she would be back come morning
in my arms
running my fingers through her hair

1 comment:

  1. The transition between verses in this is a little clunky to me. I get the feeling you are trying to be concise, but to just simply state "We had sex that night" feels less personal and sensual than you describe it being in the next line. I understand that might be in the same vein as showing versus telling her how you feel, but I still think there might be a better way to phrase it. :-)

    I like the visual and repetition of running your fingers through her hair; very soothing, soft, tender. Nice contrast to the harshness of her life and other lover.

    ReplyDelete