I awoke to the sound of my alarm -
a hellish noise that could wake the dead.
I hit the snooze button
with all the strength I could muster -
I wasn't ready to wake up,
but I reached for my phone
started to text you
"Good morning, darlin!"
My finger hovered over the send button.
What was the point? It was over.
"Just friends."
I didn't want that at all,
that was like a participation ribbon-
you were the trophy that I wanted
and lost.
I deleted my text;
a hellish noise that could wake the dead.
I hit the snooze button
with all the strength I could muster -
I wasn't ready to wake up,
but I reached for my phone
started to text you
"Good morning, darlin!"
My finger hovered over the send button.
What was the point? It was over.
"Just friends."
I didn't want that at all,
that was like a participation ribbon-
you were the trophy that I wanted
and lost.
I deleted my text;
this was a habit I needed to break.
The work day was over
and as I drove home I picked up my phone
to tell you how shitty my day is-
so I could hear you tell me it'd be alright
and advise me on what I should do,
so I could just hear your voice-
I put the phone back down;
this was a habit I needed to break.
I was finally falling asleep,
couldn't keep my eyes open any longer
when my phone rang.
I knew who it was, 'cause of the ringtone,
and with all the immediacy
of a life or death emergency
I grabbed the phone.
I stared at it for a long time, stared
at the picture that showed me who was calling:
You.
I didn't know what you could want this late...
Maybe it was a real emergency,
or maybe you just wanted to talk like we used to,
or maybe you wanted to fix things between us.
That was unlikely-
It was over.
I let your call go to voicemail.
This was a habit I was going to break.
No comments:
Post a Comment